A root canal, or endodontic therapy, is performed on teeth with an infected inner pulp. The inner pulp of the tooth contains its nerves and soft tissues. When it becomes damaged, it must be removed before the decay spreads. You probably hardly ever notice the root canal in your tooth unless there is a problem.
Signs You Might Need Root Canal Treatment
There are a number of reasons the infection or inflammation may have developed, including a cracked or chipped tooth, decay, or an injury to the tooth. Some common symptoms you may experience include the following:
- Mild to severe tooth pain
- Tender or swollen gums
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods or liquids
- Tooth discoloration
How Treatment Can Help
If you have a root canal problem, treatment can ease your discomfort. You should seek treatment as soon as possible. Consider some ways that treatment can help:
- It can provide relief from tooth pain.
- You will be able to avoid needing to extract the affected tooth.
- Fixing the affected tooth instead of removing it will save other teeth from shifting.
- Keeping the tooth can protect from future jaw problems such as TMJ.
- It can improve or maintain the natural appearance of your tooth.
How It’s Treated
When receiving root canal therapy, the diseased pulp will be removed, then the area will be cleaned. The tooth will be filled and sealed. Our Dentist may need to place a crown or another type of restoration on the tooth. This should allow the tooth to function like normal, without pain or infection.
Let Us Help
Here at The Summer Dental, we are trained and equipped to perform this procedure while keeping you as comfortable as possible. If you think you might need root canal treatment, come visit us today. We will help determine if the procedure is necessary and help you schedule an appointment.